Thursday, November 30, 2006

Self 15..Reaching


Before I sat down to write this posting, I'd been thinking about the events of the past weeks, and the way in which the boundaries from which I view the world have widened. I think it's true to say that we all exist to some extent within the familiar, an insular safety zone from which we see. Sometimes standing upon a cliff edge watching the ants of humanity scurry around our feet..sometimes peeping above the battlements for fear the snipers bullet..sometimes as an observer in the crowd. Either way we watch, we see..and occasionally we interact.


I remember when I was a child..a very early memory of perhaps the 7 year old I was ..I sat in the school hall and gazed in wonder as three (to me) giants acted out a tale of magic and humour...Today I can't tell you what it was about. But somewhere deep with in it is still there. My teacher used the word poignant when referring to my writing..still with me today.


The words we speak go out..like seeds they can implant themselves often taking root quickly like Cress..or awaiting the centuries of time to call them out of sleep one day like the pine..We never know the true extent to which our words will be heard..So be careful..and be free with your words..but let them come after listening and seeing. Harold Pegg once told me that you have two eyes, two ears and one mouth...use them in proportion.

2 comments:

Preeti Shenoy said...

So very true.I agree with you completely and you have put it beautifully-into words.My grandmother used to always tell me that once you have said something,even if an elephant pulls it hard,it can never come back.She was speaking metaphorically. (and the true is essence of what she said is lost when I translate her words into english--but I think you get the point she was making)Our words are powerful things and we dont often realise how mch they can touch others.

Preeti Shenoy said...

So very true.I agree with you completely and you have put it beautifully-into words.My grandmother used to always tell me that once you have said something,even if an elephant pulls it hard,it can never come back.She was speaking metaphorically. (and the true is essence of what she said is lost when I translate her words into english--but I think you get the point she was making)Our words are powerful things and we dont often realise how much they can touch others.