Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Balcony - 11 A closer look

Having put a layer of Blue/Black ink to denote the darkest areas of the rest of the picture..I start to develop the skin tones of the two gentlemen standing at the back,
A simple layer of scarlet dots is enough to begin with..these two ladies heads are close together and the one on the right is wearing a bright red coat..so there Will be a lot of colour bleeding between faces and coat making it difficult to see any boundaries.
Here I'm beginning to add the yellow ochre over the red..I have to keep the lady's feature indistinct to match the others..just a simple suggestion of eyebrows and chin is what I'm looking for..

Here I've rubbed out some of the pencil lines so that i can see clearly the areas I need to blend into each other..this creates the the soft fuzzy out of focus effect. the ladies hair is a mixture light blues dots, red dots and yellow..then shadows are picked out in green .

6 comments:

Devil Mood said...

This must be a thrilling painting with all the different colours :)

Niall young said...

DM..It is..you can see the scale I'm working in compared to the last one...this is tiny..so all the colours are conpact and more intense.It's sad that the photos produced here don't give you the delicate shades achieved...it's actually great fun to be doing this!

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog today. wonderful work! I will be watching quite often.

Niall young said...

Robin..Welcome,it's always good to share with another fellow artist.I've popped over to your blog breifly..I like the B/W leaf studies and the window display is actually something similar I planned to do...lovely work!

pink dogwood said...

I wish I could be your student - what kind of pen do you use? I am truly enjoying seeing this art work come alive.

Niall young said...

Pink Dogwood...I use The Rotring Isograph pen..0.25mm nib and Windsor and Newton Caligraphy inks..you can buy the pens online easily enough..there are various guages of nibs..but i have settled on the size I'm currently using...you can get an even finer guage but it's quite fragile.I'm really pleased you're enjoying it's development,there's not much more to go now!