Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Bench - 10 A closer look

Pink Dogwood asked yesterday what the size of this picture was..so in answer to that and as a way of showing the process I use..here a re few photographs taken this morning as I worked on the shadows leading from the bench. After penciling in the areas to be the shadow, I lay a basic layer of dark blue dots ...the white circular shapes are to be fallen leaves.

Here I'm strengthening the yellow by adding a bright yellow...I will then lay more yellow ochre and green over this.

Next..(whoa!what happened to the contrast!?)...I add medium blue to begin extending the shadows away from the bench...the shadows are in fact going to be quite blue...the path was wet at the time I took photos so there was a lot of glare.


Here I'm strengthening the tone of the bench it self with yet more blue. Remember I spoke about the scroll detail on the top arms of the bench?...Well, having thought about what to do I used a very hard rubber which is in the shape of a pencil...I can actually sharpen the tip to produce a very accurate rubber..I think these sort of rubbers were used by typists...I've tried to find similar ones for a couple of years now but to no avail.
Tomorrow you'll see the area underneath the bench completed and the fallen leaves take on an even greater degree of realism with more fine detail added.....

5 comments:

pink dogwood said...

Thanks for taking the time to explain the process. I wonder how many million dots make up a picture this size? It requires so much patience, but the end result is so awesome.

Do you number the post for each day of work? So is this the 10th day of working on this picture?

Niall young said...

PD...This picture is relatively small..I once marked out an area of one centemetre squate to see how many dots fitted inot it (it was on a fairly medium density area odf a picture I was working on at the time) and the calculation was around 2 million plus dots for a light A3 sized picture...that was some time ago, my work is more dense and intense these days, so perhaps I should repeat the experiment.

Preeti Shenoy said...

I never ceased to be amazed by your capabilities and your talent.
Cheers
Preeti

--xh-- said...

thanks for taking time and effort to post the pictures :)

--xh-- said...

2 million plus dots for an A3 size... whew! amazing...