Sunday, October 04, 2009

Chalk marks in sky.

I liked the way the clouds looked like chalk marks in the sky as if it was some one's sketch of an idea for some weather...who knows how it will turn out but it's looking good so far!

Here's a more 'finished ' sketch for my Starman...he still looks a little odd, but yesterday I realised that I've been filling my blog up over the past few days with what I'd call very substandard sketches. You see, I use these sketches purely as mental notes on paper to which I have all the refined images in my mind...they are not meant to be anything other than that...I merely seek to show you part of the process I go through in the creation of a new work.I just didn't want you to think I couldn't draw very well!
For those of you who are fans of my surreal burlesque themed work, you should enjoy the next few weeks as I will be going darker and hoping to fill this latest work with even more symbolism and detail.

4 comments:

Gemma Parker said...

Thanks for your comments, it has certainly been a hectic few weeks! I love your Starman!Your drawing here reminds me of the amazing artist who does some of the Discworld's characters for Terry Pratchett; Paul Kidby, do you know of him?
***

Niall young said...

Gemma...Paul kidby's work is something to aspire to...so much characterization and detail.I love his work...(and I've read almost all the Terry Pratchett books..!)Thank you for your complements..I'm finding myself particularly fond of juxtaposing wisened old men with beautiful women!

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read the article. Thanx for it. I like such themes and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.

Niall young said...

Hello Anonymous..I hope you feel free to call back as often as you like. If you have any questions, please ask away!