Sunday, February 07, 2010

Paul Delvaux...Surrealizing the Nude'

Chrysis (1967)
Pompei (1970)

I've written of my love of the paintings by Paul Delvaux before, but recently I've been reading a book Jan gave me for Christmas. 'Surrealizing the Nude' looks at and examines the link between Delvaux's work , the classic painters and modernists in context of 'history painting' and 'surrealism' . I give my gratitude to a fellow Belgium blogger (where are you Claudine?) for bringing to my attention this often overlooked painter....and the similarities in inspiration and execution of subject theory between his and my work is quite interesting. Whilst Delvaux is in a league far outreaching any if all my ambitions, his repeated use of fetishistic objects and figures is in common with my own.
Anyone who takes the time to study the work of Delvaux will quickly notice that his paintings, although in many respects are 'naturalistic' actually employ aspects of history, memory, experience and expectation...weaved together with dreamlike incongruity, they point and lead the viewer into an experience of privileged voyeurism and trust. weather male or female, the viewer can appreciate desire and longing whilst making links between literary figures , historical events and places.
I like the above pictures because they cause in me a response towards reverie and desire...there are elements of history. present and the future...whilst nodding towards classical views of the nude, they include (if you look) certain instances of improbability and impossibility.
Wordy bit over...back to Cello Girls tomorrow.

2 comments:

Devil Mood said...

I like the little houses he used in the 2nd painting as background. :)
And I see Stacey in your facebook profile picture haha.

Sue said...

You say that he is "in a league far outreaching your own ambitions." I don't think you are being fair to yourself. You do have similar qualities, and of course there are differences, but you have committed yourself to your work, you have a lot of skill, and you have a lot of talent. You aren't trying to BE anyone besides yourself, as an artist... as long as you remain true to your own vision, you are as great an artist as any! And then it will be up to history to decide from there...