Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Drawings...Me and of MR. Hockney in York.

I hope you'll forgive my absence over the last few days. I've been away to see friends in York. A wonderfully beautiful city...We slept over night at Mark and Al's after some rather fine food and single Malt whisky, then went into the city in the morning, we had planned to visit the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, but the weather turned bad. During our time in york, we went to visit the main art gallery in the centre of the city to see a painting by British artist David Hockney. 'Bigger Trees near Warter'  was painted over 6 weeks and is comprised of 52 canvases each measuring 36 x 48 inches...so you can imagine the overall size of 40x15 feet makes it a huge and imposing piece!!

Back at my desk today I've concentrated on drawings of me as a little boy for my 'Mad Vicar' picture.At the top of the page you can see a photo of me I've brought up on my laptop...I used this as the basis of the little boy in L'inattendu a couple of years ago...but I've only referred to it rather than copying it this time. you can see my sketches on the desk as well as my Panda knitted for me by Mum.

Above to the right is a rough sketch I produced last week ...on the left of that is the developing drawing I've been working on today...I wanted the facial features to look as if they belonged to a younger boy (hence using the photo on the lap top) and needed to adjust the thickness of the neck and chest. Below I've added the Panda and neatened the lines. This drawing is just about ready for tracing and transferring to paper for dotting.
Below, you can see that I've placed the sketch in relation to the Mad Vicar to explore how they will be placed together. I still have time to consider if the boy will have his right hand held out with hovering planet over his palm similar to the one held over the Mad Vicar's left hand.

0 comments: