Sunday, May 05, 2013

Willington Arts Festival - Day One.

I still get shocked when I see photos of myself. In my mind I'm still 28, dark haired and irrepressibly virile. but i'm not...I'm 51, grey haired and resistibly sterile! (I'm not sterile really, but I thought it would sound funny in that sentence.)...but you get the idea. 

Here I am at the Willington Arts Festival. A friendly festival which though not on a large scale like the Wirksworth has been running now for 7 years i think. I'm sitting in a room i'm sharing with fellow artist Martin Sloman...behind me in the picture through the door is a large school room with another 12 artists approx.


I managed to sell three prints, which is better than nothing! But I can't help but feel a little twinge of frustration considering all the work producing/ mounting and framing things that i though would be popular. Never mind, it's the nature of the business! Once again also it's frustrating not to be able to show my best work which still remains unframed and under the table! I'm sort of loathed to frame them in cheap Ikea frames...they need something more substantial!.

It was also good to be able to talk to quite a few people who were genuinely impressed with my work and knowledgeably so with regard to the historical relevance of Divisionalism/ Pointillism.I sometimes feel connected (at least in passion and intention) to the Post impressionists. I often feel alone in my work and have regularly become down hearted. But days like today have the ability to refire the heart and sharpen the resolve.My desire to develop and push the boundaries of the technique are strengthened  My only concern is that i remain alive long enough to do what I dream of doing!

1 comments:

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

Really nice display! Your frames look good. I prefer indoor shows. I've got an outdoor show in a few weeks, and I'm afraid everything will blow around and get rained on. I think men have a better time aging than women (says the dried up husk of a woman now 39 and 1/4 years old, but not 40 yet!)